Thursday, August 28, 2008

What I’ve Learned About Myself Playing Poker

I started playing poker about two years ago. If it has any appeal for you, don't be shy; get to a table near you -- or a good poker sim with good AI (I'm using WSOP 2008) -- and enjoy! You'll learn a fun game – a combination of things you can control and things you can't (just like real life) – that will also teach you a lot about how you react to things you can't control and about your style of handling the things you can.

That shouldn't come as a surprise, really; you're sense of life is bound to show in everything you do.

I imagine everyone knows the bit about knowing when to fold and when to hold. But I've learned even more from learning when to raise. You see, raising is not about the cards you've been dealt. It's about the current position that you're in when you receive that hand and then it's about testing to see what stands in the way of optimally using the cards you've been dealt.

I've learned that I fold too easily, that I back away from confrontation, and that I'm too afraid of losing to win. Boy has that changed!

So, if we should ever meet on line, in a card room, or at OCON (My handle is Knowhen43) I'll be glad to play a game or two where you can find out from personal experience what I've learned from playing poker.

AF

No comments:

Welcome

This blog is dedicated to the occcasional jotting down of my more extended essays. My profile will tell you that my areas of formal training are piano performance and philosophy. I have, therefore, the advantage of being an educated layman in economics history, painting, sales, business.

Here is the premise on which my blog is based: A is A. Many consider this an empty, meaningless statement because it is self-evident. But I regard it as powerful for that very reason. It is self-evident that a thing is what it is. In the context of this blog, another way to put it is this: wishing, praying, and government micro- and macro-managemennt will not make it other than it is.


Enjoy