Friday, September 5, 2008

A Real Life

A few months ago I posted the following comment at Ann C.'s blog, Creative Life. It will give you the reason's for my strong recommendation.

As I continue to read your blog I am struck by the differences between it and other Objectivist blogs. Yours is a living demonstration of what it means to live as a valuer every day at a very basic level-- the level at which one says simply "this is a fine meal," "what a beautiful sunset!" "Isn't Ayn Rand the best?"
I am reminded of a passage from her journals which I hold as a kind of motto for my life:

"This may sound naive. But--is our life ever to have reality? Are we ever going to live on the level? Or is life always to be something else, something different from what it should be? A real life, simple and sincere, and even naive, is the only life where all the potential grandeur and beauty of human existence can really be found."

Yes, everyone needs philosophy, and it is important to deal with it technically and in the context of what is happening in the culture, as many Objectivist blogs do. But it is all for naught if it remains in its ivory tower or focused only on the whole. Your blog makes it real in the life of one human being.

Brava! 

AF

P. S. Ann is the Artistic Director of the Austin Shakespeare Festival

 

No comments:

Welcome

This blog is dedicated to the occcasional jotting down of my more extended essays. My profile will tell you that my areas of formal training are piano performance and philosophy. I have, therefore, the advantage of being an educated layman in economics history, painting, sales, business.

Here is the premise on which my blog is based: A is A. Many consider this an empty, meaningless statement because it is self-evident. But I regard it as powerful for that very reason. It is self-evident that a thing is what it is. In the context of this blog, another way to put it is this: wishing, praying, and government micro- and macro-managemennt will not make it other than it is.


Enjoy