Friday, October 17, 2008

If your lover sends you letters of goodbye...

Does anyone reading this remember Johnny Ray's hit, named above?  

I've been sitting for long hours every day watching CNBC (Fox Business is not available on basic cable here and we can't afford the upgrade) with tears streaming down my face at "so much that had been possible" which is disappearing rapidly.  I had thought that I would live to see the day when the obvious value of Capitalism would have turned a corner in the publlic's conception of the world.

Obviously the pundits, the commentators, the members of the news media, -- f do not.  And the truth of Ayn Rand's insight into the nature of Capitalism and of compromise with conservatives and Libertarians is unfolding before our eyes.  Capitalism = Bush and McCain and (heaven help us) Palin.   The once Grand Old Party has become the home of folk-wisdom, envy, and power that mirrors the population at large in its willingness to sell its most cherished and important discovery - the nature and requirments of freedom - for a mess of potage.      

So my lover of 50 years is leaving and sending me daily messages of her progress.                                                                                                                                                                                                   And so I cry.                                                          

No comments:

Welcome

This blog is dedicated to the occcasional jotting down of my more extended essays. My profile will tell you that my areas of formal training are piano performance and philosophy. I have, therefore, the advantage of being an educated layman in economics history, painting, sales, business.

Here is the premise on which my blog is based: A is A. Many consider this an empty, meaningless statement because it is self-evident. But I regard it as powerful for that very reason. It is self-evident that a thing is what it is. In the context of this blog, another way to put it is this: wishing, praying, and government micro- and macro-managemennt will not make it other than it is.


Enjoy