Thursday, October 2, 2008

Where's the Beef?

Sent to CNBC

Show me the lack of money!  It has suddenly occurred to me to do what I wolud do if I were a detective  looking for evidence of the death of available money.
 
First I checked my own history history. When the brokers were trying to maintain the bubble that was making them rich, it was easy to get a loan.  In fact we didn't even have to try.  WE WERE CALLED.  Nobody doing that no more.
 
Now you have to qualify.  You have to call the bank (have you done that?) and ask them if they have money to lend. They will say yes...but you have to  qualify.
 
So here's a news directors assignment for you.  When you find those poor souls whose businesses are in danger of closing because they can't get any more credit ---- ask them how leveraged their business was when they started.  Had they saved enough to keep the business open for a year even if nobody came. Did their business plan include a detailed study of the market, the location and the demographics of the area where they were going to open?.  In other words should they have been granted a loan in the first place?
 
Before you discuss how dire the situation is find out why.
 
I expect to see the copy on my desk tomorrow morning.
 
AF
 

No comments:

Welcome

This blog is dedicated to the occcasional jotting down of my more extended essays. My profile will tell you that my areas of formal training are piano performance and philosophy. I have, therefore, the advantage of being an educated layman in economics history, painting, sales, business.

Here is the premise on which my blog is based: A is A. Many consider this an empty, meaningless statement because it is self-evident. But I regard it as powerful for that very reason. It is self-evident that a thing is what it is. In the context of this blog, another way to put it is this: wishing, praying, and government micro- and macro-managemennt will not make it other than it is.


Enjoy