Thursday, October 2, 2008

Weeding the Garden

It suddenly has occurred to me that all the banks in the area where I live are advertising that they have money to lend.  The problem is not the "liquidity of money" it's the lack of real productivity on the part of most of business --indeed most of the world. I don't have time to go into this in great detail today, but I wanted to make note of it here because it is important to know that what you are hearing is not true. 

What is true is pragmatism (See Tara Smith's insightful article in TOC's fall issue) and altruism (the people who are hurting are the people and businesses that should be) and the fact that the Democrat's and the politicos of both parties need to have an emergency to have anything to do.

I urge you to call your bank -- call five banks in your area -- and ask them if they have money to lend.  I will bet you any amount that they will say yes . . . IF you qualify.  In other words they are no longer calling you on the phone soliciting you with lines like "what would you say if I asked you if there were anyway you could use a little extra cash in your pocket right now?  That line assumes that there is nothing you have to do - no discriminatory qualifications you have to meet -- to re-fi your house and be a consumer and drive the economy.

There is a lot more to this story. But it will have to wait.

AF

No comments:

Welcome

This blog is dedicated to the occcasional jotting down of my more extended essays. My profile will tell you that my areas of formal training are piano performance and philosophy. I have, therefore, the advantage of being an educated layman in economics history, painting, sales, business.

Here is the premise on which my blog is based: A is A. Many consider this an empty, meaningless statement because it is self-evident. But I regard it as powerful for that very reason. It is self-evident that a thing is what it is. In the context of this blog, another way to put it is this: wishing, praying, and government micro- and macro-managemennt will not make it other than it is.


Enjoy